Educator Workshop – Amplifying History: Learning from the Lives of Women
Presented by Lighting the Way: Historic Women of the SouthCoast
An initiative of the New Bedford Whaling Museum
June 25 & 26, 2019
9 am – 4 pm
Application deadline: May 19, 2019
Join colleagues from across the region for a two-day educator workshop exploring the historical impact of women from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds who shaped their SouthCoast communities, the nation, and the world. Be inspired by Lighting the Way: Historic Women of the SouthCoast and the remarkable stories of women’s callings that required grit, tenacity, and enduring commitment to their families, careers, and communities.
- Explore the Lighting the Way project, an online educational resource that amplifies history through profiles of inspiring women from the SouthCoast region.
- Learn from the work of researchers, educators, librarians, and students connected to the project.
- Experience a new historic walking trail and Whaling Museum tour connected to the history of local women.
- Collaborate with colleagues to explore potential projects you can take back to your students.
- Follow-up activities, resources, and supplies during the 2019-2020 school year will support you as you develop, prototype, and implement Lighting the Way projects with your students.
- $100 stipend
Designed for educators
- From classroom, museum, library, and out-of-school program settings
- Working with youth 6th grade – young adult
Space is limited for this workshop. Please fill out this ONLINE APPLICATION FORM by midnight Sunday, May 19.