Herman Melville Family Day
Monday, August 4, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Whaling Museum celebrates Herman Melville’s birthday every year with free crafts, activities, and birthday cake! Families and kids under 12 are invited to join us for this fun and festive occasion in honor of the famed author of Moby-Dick.
The annual celebration takes place in the Jacobs Family Gallery and on the Museum plaza, with additional programming throughout the Museum. The event features special guests, art, music, and story reading for children 12 years and younger. A drawing for a family membership will be held during the event. The White Whale (the Whaling Museum Store) will also hold a summer tent sale.
Activities that take place on the Museum plaza, the Museum Theater and in Jacobs Family Gallery are free. Regular admission applies for the rest of the Museum.
Free activities include:
10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Children’s arts and crafts activities include creating soap scrimshaw, little logbooks, paper sailors’ valentines, whale hats, bookmarks and whale magnets.
- Kids can make their own floatable toy model of Captain Ahab’s ship, Pequod. Wading pools on the plaza will allow young shipwrights to test their vessels’ seaworthiness before they take them home.
- Kids can test their aim in the harpoon throwing contest; hit the target and win a prize.
- Take your photo in our authentic Pico whaleboat on the Museum plaza.
- At the “touch table” examine sperm whale teeth, baleen and scrimshaw.
11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Drawing with artist Dave Blanchette
12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. “Monkey Presents…Moby-Dick” Children’s Film
1 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Read along of Moby-Dick pop-up book
1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Happy Birthday sing-along and cake!
Additional programming includes:
10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Moby-Dick themed highlights tour of the Museum
11:30 a.m. to Noon How did the whalemen synchronize their movements as they furled the sails and raised the anchor? They sang, of course! Learn these sea chanteys as you weigh anchor on our replica fo’c’sle and raise and lower the jib sails on the Lagoda.
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Go below deck on the Lagoda!
12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Moby-Dick themed highlights tour of the Museum
Regular admission rates apply for Moby-Dick highlights tours and Lagoda programs. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
For more information, call 508-997-0046 ext. 100.
Herman Melville Family Day is sponsored, in part by, the Grimshaw Gudewicz Charitable Foundation and the Helen E. Ellis Charitable Fund.
Last modified: August 30, 2016