30th Annual Scrimshaw Weekend
Friday, May 4 – Sunday, May 6
The annual Scrimshaw Weekend is the world’s only forum devoted to the indigenous shipboard art of whalers during the “Age of Sail.” Enthusiasts from across the country and abroad will gather to share the enjoyment of this distinctive and beautiful art form.
Weekend highlights and lecture topics:
- Presentations on the history and identification of scrimshaw
- Recent discoveries about significant makers and genres
- Newly discovered whaleman and navy scrimshaw-artists
- Auctioneering and the how-tos of buying and selling
- The modern manufacture of legitimate scrimshaw replicas and scrimshaw-theme merchandise
- Annual Market Report
- Antique Scrimshaw Collectors Association (ASCA) Report
- Field trip to an important private collection
Friday, May 4, 2018 | 9th Annual Nautical Antiques Show
Noon – 5 pm | Early admission 11 am – Noon
Free for Whaling Museum members, Nautical Antiques Show participants and Scrimshaw Weekend attendees.
Early admission $5.00.
Browse hundreds of antiques from some of New England’s most respected dealers.
Scrimshaw Weekend Registration 11 am – 5 pm
Scrimshaw Weekend Opening Presentation 8 pm
Saturday, May 5 | Scrimshaw Weekend
Saturday begins with registration and coffee followed by a full day of presentations, buffet lunch, and an afternoon coffee break. The evening features a cocktail reception, banquet dinner, and keynote presentation.
Sunday, May 6 | Off-Site Field trip
9:30 am – 6:00 pm
Location and time to be announced. Price of field trip is not included in Scrimshaw Weekend admission.
Museum members $315 | Non-members $370
By phone: 508-997-0046 x100
Schedule subject to change. Check website for updates.
The 30th Annual Scrimshaw Weekend is sponsored by