Explore amazing marine animals in this weekly video and activity series – a different creature each week!
July 12 – August 25, 2021
New videos every Monday
In-person activities on Wednesdays
11am – 1pm at the Whaling Museum
How many people can fit inside a whale? Which zooplankton look like little monsters? What does a shark’s tooth look like, up close?
Find the answers and more this summer during Creature Feature, the Whaling Museum’s weekly video and activity series. Each week, we’ll explore amazing marine animals and learn how we can help our underwater friends.
Watch an introduction to Creature Feature
July 26 - Week 3
WATCH VIDEO beginning July 26.
Wednesday, July 28 at the Whaling Museum
- Kraken? Or giant squid?
- Be a marine biologist! Guided (small) squid dissection in Captain Paul Cuffe Park. (Rain location – Harbor View Gallery)
- Recommended for ages 8-12 years
- Pre-registration required
- See details here.
August 2 - Week 4
Watch the video beginning August 2.
Wednesday, August 4 at the Whaling Museum
- Tale a peek at plankton! Try hands-on science activities in Harbor View Gallery
- Build your own plankton
- Peek at plankton using a microscope
- Learn to identify plankton
August 9 - Week 5
Watch the video beginning August 9.
Monday, August 9 is AUGUST ADVENTURES day at the Whaling Museum
- Admission to the Whaling Museum on August 9 is free all day, thanks to Highland Street Foundation and August Adventures! Every day during the month of August, a different museum or recreational site will have no-cost admission. See the full August Adventures calendar here.
- Just in time for Shark Week! See films from the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy in the Cook Memorial Theater
Wednesday, August 11 at the Whaling Museum
Shark week continues at the museum with interactive shark activities.
- See films from the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy in the Cook Memorial Theater
- In Jacobs Family Gallery, learn to tell a dogfish shark from a white shark, and check out shark’s teeth – up close!
Watch the video beginning August 16.
Wednesday, August 18 at the Whaling Museum
August - 23 - Week 7
Watch the video beginning August 23.
Wednesday, August 25 at the Whaling Museum
- Meet a horseshoe crab from the Lloyd Center for the Environment.
- Ever wear a crab on your head? Make a horseshoe crab hat to take home.
Previously Featured Creatures
July 12 - Week 1
North Atlantic Right Whale
WATCH VIDEO beginning July 12.
Wednesday, July 14 at the Whaling Museum
- Wow! A life-size inflatable right whale from Whale and Dolphin Conservation and a life-size inflatable humpback whale from the Whaling Museum
- Dance to Ocean Beats (cool beats mixed with marine mammal sounds) in Captain Paul Cuffe Park. (Rain location – Harbor View Gallery)
- Join educators in the Jacobs Family Gallery at 11 am to learn all about whales in person.
July 19 - Week 2
WATCH VIDEO beginning July 19.
Wednesday, July 21 at the Whaling Museum
- Dolphin Obstacle Course
- Learn how dolphins feed, migrate, and avoid predators and life-threatening entanglements
- Paul Cuffe Park. (Rain location – Harbor View Gallery)