Call for Poets
Call for Poets to Submit To:
A Wild Note of Longing
POETS RESPOND TO ALBERT PINKHAM RYDER
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT
August 12, 2021
Call For Poets
A Wild Note of Longing: Poets Respond to Albert Pinkham Ryder
In conjunction with the landmark exhibition A Wild Note of Longing: Albert Pinkham Ryder and a Century of American Art, the New Bedford Whaling Museum is seeking recorded submissions of spoken poems, recited by the authors, that draw inspiration from the visual art and writings of Albert Pinkham Ryder (1847-1917). Selected submissions will be compiled into a virtual reel of poetic recitations.
A Wild Note of Longing, which runs June 24 - October 31, 2021 at the Whaling Museum, brings together major masterworks across the career of New Bedford native Albert Pinkham Ryder, who achieved legendary status among artists during his lifetime and continues to influence artists today. Ryder was a prophetic visionary, seeing and representing the world in a way that diverged from everyone else.
The Whaling Museum is looking for poets to participate in A Wild Note of Longing - Poets Respond to Albert Pinkham Ryder by submitting video recordings of themselves reading or reciting their own work, inspired by Ryder’s visual art and writings. Entries will be compiled into a reel of poetry, to be released publicly through the museum’s website and social media on Thursday, August 26, 2021. Poets may select and use music to accompany their recording, and are asked to record in an aesthetically appropriate setting. Poets must have the means and ability to record and upload their poem.
Learn more about Ryder’s work and A Wild Note of Longing by clicking on the button below.
TO SUBMIT YOUR RECORDED POEM:
Follow these steps:
- Choose a space that is aesthetically appropriate, and music that you would like to accompany your work. (Music is optional.) Make sure your area is well-lit, clean, and has good acoustics.
- Record yourself reciting or reading the poem.
- Submit your recording in .mov or mp4 format HERE. Include the title of the piece, your name as it should be presented, and any other affiliation.
- DEADLINE to submit is August 12, 2021. Submissions after this date will not be accepted.
- For confirmation of your submission, send an email to Joclyne Nunes, Public Programs Manager, at email@example.com once you have submitted your recording.