Whales: Giants of the Ocean
Lesson 5 | Create a Critter
Whales, dolphins, and porpoises can be as short as 5 feet (1.5 meters) or as long as 100 feet (30.5 meters). In this lesson, students will learn about and try to replicate the size of some of the larger species. They will also compare those animals to familiar objects.
BY THE END OF THIS LESSON, STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Use different objects to compare lengths
- Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units
- Record measurement equivalents in a two-column table
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- How big are whales?
- How does the size of different whales compare with the size of common objects?