- Digital Scholarship
- Summer 2015 Family Programs
- Portuguese Short Film Festival
- Members’ Trip to Porto, Portugal
- The Second Half: Fall Lecture Series
- Mindfulness for Busy People
- WJEC Grand Opening Celebrations
- Manhattan Short Film Festival
- Film Screening: "Most Likely to Succeed"
- The GAEA Summit
- Annual Family Activities
- Community Programs
- Annual Events
- Moby-Dick Marathon
- Past Programs
Herman Melville Family Day at the New Bedford Whaling Museum offers summer fun for the whole family, August 4
NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — The 2014 Herman Melville Family Day celebrates the 195th birthday of the famed author of Moby-Dick at the New Bedford Whaling Museum on Monday, August 4, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. with free children’s activities and – of course - birthday cake for all!
The annual celebration takes place in the Jacobs Family Gallery and on the Museum plaza, with additional programming throughout the Museum. The event features special guests, art, music, and story reading for children 12 years and younger. A drawing for a family membership will be held during the event. The White Whale (the Whaling Museum Store) will also hold a summer tent sale.
Activities that take place on the Museum plaza, the Museum Theater and in Jacobs Family Gallery are free. Regular admission applies for the rest of the Museum.
Free activities include:
10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Children’s arts and crafts activities include creating soap scrimshaw, little logbooks, paper sailors’ valentines, whale hats, bookmarks and whale magnets.
- Kids can make their own floatable toy model of Captain Ahab’s ship, Pequod. Wading pools on the plaza will allow young shipwrights to test their vessels’ seaworthiness before they take them home.
- Kids can test their aim in the harpoon throwing contest; hit the target and win a prize.
- Take your photo in our authentic Pico whaleboat on the Museum plaza.
- At the “touch table” examine sperm whale teeth, baleen and scrimshaw.
11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Drawing with artist Dave Blanchette
12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. “Monkey Presents…Moby-Dick” Children’s Film
1 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Read along of Moby-Dick pop-up book
1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Happy Birthday sing-along and cake!
Additional programming includes:
10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Moby-Dick themed highlights tour of the Museum
11:30 a.m. to Noon Learn sea chanteys while raising and lowering the jib sails on the Lagoda!
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Go below deck on the Lagoda!
12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Moby-Dick themed highlights tour of the Museum
Regular admission rates apply for Moby-Dick highlights tours and Lagoda programs. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Herman Melville Family Day is sponsored, in part by, the Grimshaw Gudewicz Charitable Foundation and the Helen E. Ellis Charitable Fund.
For more information, visit www.whalingmuseum.org or call 508-997-0046 ext. 100.
Stephanie Poyant Moran
Senior Director of Marketing & Public Relations
New Bedford Whaling Museum
Office: 508-997-0046 x139
About the New Bedford Whaling Museum
The New Bedford Whaling Museum is the world's most comprehensive museum devoted to the global story of whales, whaling and the cultural history of the region. The cornerstone of New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park, the Museum is located at 18 Johnny Cake Hill in the heart of the city's historic downtown. Summer hours through October: Daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For more information, visit www.whalingmuseum.org.