- Members Holiday Party
- New Year's Eve
- Moby-Dick Marathon
- Sailors' Series
- River and Rail Symposium
- Scrimshaw Weekend
- Annual Events
- Children's Programs
- C.W. Morgan Visit
- Over the Top
- Beetle Whaleboat Project
- Community Programs
- Old Dartmouth Lyceum
- Past Programs
Table of Contents
In the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library
The Acushnet Iron Foundry, located on Fish Island, was in corporated in 1846. J. H. W. Page was the President, and the Treasurer was James B. Congdon, who also held the position of the first cashier of the Merchants National Bank. Page and Congdon also served as directors along with Seth H. Ingalls and Edward P. Haskell. The Superintendent in 1849 was Silas Sisson.
The Acushnet Iron Foundry Records consist of six volumes spanning the years 1848 to 1857. These records were found with the Merchants Bank Records but have been cataloged separately due to their distinct nature. The five volumes of a cash book, two day-books, one journal, and one ledger are stored in two legal-size document boxes. The individual numbers that appear in the inventory beside each volume represent the numbers assigned during the processing of the Merchant Bank Records.
Access to Collections
Unrestricted. Consult librarian for an appointment.
New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library Mss 108, [sub-group, series, sub-series, folder/volume as appropriate], [item]
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 United States Code 552a) governs the use of materials that document private individuals, groups, and corporations.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction if the document does not infringe the privacy rights of an individual, group, or corporation. These specified conditions of authorized use include:
- non-commercial and non-profit study, scholarship, research, or teaching
- criticism or commentary
- as a NBWM archives preservation or security copy for research use
- as a research copy for deposit in another institution
If the researcher later uses a copy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," the researcher is personally liable for copyright, privacy, or publicity infringement and agrees to indemnify the New Bedford Whaling Museum from any legal action as a result of the error. Permission to obtain a photographic, xerographic, digital, or other copy of a document does not indicate permission to publish, exhibit, perform, reproduce, sell, distribute, or prepare derivative works from the document without permission from the copyright holder and from any private individual, group, or corporation shown or otherwise recorded.
Permission to publish, exhibit, perform, reproduce, prepare derivative works from, sell, or otherwise distribute the item must be obtained separately in writing from the holder of the original copyright (or if the creator is dead, from his/her heirs) as well as from any individual(s), groups, or corporations whose name, image, recorded words, or private information (e.g. employment information) may be reproduced in the source material. The holder of the original copyright is not necessarily the New Bedford Whaling Museum. The New Bedford Whaling Museum is not legally liable for copyright, privacy, or publicity infringement when materials are wrongfully used after being provided to researchers for "fair use."
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if fulfillment of the order is judged in violation of copyright or federal or state privacy law. This institution also places restrictions on the use of cameras, photocopiers, and scanners in the research room.
Materials in this collection were included with the accessions of Merchants Bank Records, 2008.53 and 2008.54, while the Day Book stored in Box 3 was part of a later accession, 2011.83, donated to the Library by John Kashmanian in 2011.
Accessions #s 2008.53 and 2008.54 were processed by Jalien Hollister, 20 March 2012, while Accession # 2011.83 was processed by Mark Procknik on 02 July 2013.
Encoded by: Mark Procknik, 20 March 2012
Acushnet Iron Foundry (Acushnet, Mass.)