- Logbooks & Journals
- Maps and Charts
- From the Vault
- Specialized Bibliographies
- Bequia Whaling
- Economic Impact of American Whaling
- Finding Franklin
- Fishing and the Fishing Industry
- Illustrated Whaling Narratives
- Lewis Temple
- Liberation of Fenian Prisoners
- Manjiro Nakahama and the Opening of Japan
- Massacres in the South Pacific
- Mutiny and Crimes at Sea
- The Narwhal
- 19th Century Literature on shipwrecks
- Recommended Arctic Titles
- Whaling in 19th Century American Literature
- Women in Whaling
- Specialized Bibliographies
- Library Projects
- Melville Society
- Search Library Catalog
- Cultural Communities
- Digital Scholarship
- 25th Annual Sailors’ Series
- Painting with a Splash
- Lifelong Learning Lecture Series
- Of Earth, Sea & Fire Symposium
- Where the Land Meets the Sea
- Watkins Bioacoustics Symposium
- Nautical Antiques Show
- 27th Annual Scrimshaw Weekend
- A Grateful Dead Yoga Experience
- Painting with a Splash FOR KIDS
- Members’ Trip to Porto, Portugal
- Family Activities
- Community Programs
- Annual Events
- Charles W. Morgan Visit
- Whaling History Symposium
- Moby-Dick Marathon
- Past Programs
Fishing and the Fishing Industry
A Bibliography of Sources in the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library
Baker (John Hopkins Baker) Papers, 1821-1885, Mss 44, Museum Archive.
Dobson, Benjamin T., Ship Plans Collection, Mss 1975.36, Museum Archive.
Oral histories recorded in 1998 and 1999 with Rodney Avila, Louis Doucette Jr., Greg Freitas, Howard W. Nickerson, and Leonard Roche; Museum Archive.
Oral history with Capt. John G. Murley, recorded 1964; Museum Archive.
Oral history with Capt. Dan Mullins, recorded 1964; Museum Archive.
Potter (Edward F. and C. W. Potter) manuscript collection, 2009.10, Museum Archive.
Potter Family Papers, 1838-1906, Mss 102, Museum Archive.
Andrews, J. Clinton, “The Beginnings: Indian Fish and Fishing off Coastal Massachusetts,” in Historic Nantucket, Vol. 43, No. 3, Fall 1994.
Barker, Melvern J., Southeast of Noman’s, 1948.
Blair, Carvel Hall, and Willits Dyer Ansel, A Guide to Fishing Boats and Their Gear, 1968.
“Buzzard’s Bay Menhaden Fishery,” in Hunt’s Merchants’ Magazine, Vol. 10, Feb. 1844.
Chapelle, Howard, The American Fishing Schooners 1845-1935, 1973.
Church, Albert Cook, American Fishermen, 1940.
Clark, A. Howard, The Fisheries of Massachusetts, 1887.
Daley, Clement E. Jr., Sentinels of Futures Past, 1972.
Daley, Clement E. Jr., Tug Boats, Fishing Boats and Other Old Friends, 1987.
Digges, Jeremiah [pseudonym of Josef Berger], In Great Waters: The Story of the Portuguese Fishermen, 1941.
Doeringer, Peter B., Philip I. Moss, David B. Terkla, The New England Fishing Economy, 1986.
Down to the Sea for Fish: New Bedford Fishing Fleet, Reynolds Printing, 1939.
Finn, William, The Dragger, 1970.
Fishing Bulletin, Reynolds Printing, 1945.
Fishing Vessels of the United States, 1995.
Fortier, Norman, “A Storied Lens,” Museum Photo Archive.
Georgianna, Daniel, Alan Cass, Peter Amaral, The Cost of Fishing for Sea Scallops in Northeastern United States, 1999.
Hathaway, Brad, “Notes on Nineteenth Century Fishing from Dartmouth, MA.”
Matteson, George M., Draggermen, 1979.
Mello, Phil, “Working Waterfront, Photographic Portraits,” Museum Photo Archive.
Ronnberg, Erik A. R. Jr., “Evelina M. Goulart: Swordfishing Schooner, Dragger, Museum Ship,” in Nautical Research Journal, Vol. 38, No. 2, June 1993.
Spinner, Volumes I, III, IV.