- Digital Scholarship
- NRP Sagres Visit
- Beginner's Drawing Class
- Summer 2015 Family Programs
- Free Fun Fridays
- New Bedford Mansions Book Launch
- July Painting with a Splash FOR KIDS!
- Gogo Jewelry Trunk Show & Lecture
- Over the Top Gala
- Members’ Trip to Porto, Portugal
- The Second Half: Fall Lecture Series
- The GAEA Summit
- Annual Family Activities
- Community Programs
- Annual Events
- Moby-Dick Marathon
- Past Programs
Whaling History: An Introductory Bibliography
* Ashley, Clifford W.  1942. The Yankee Whaler. Garden City, N.Y.: Halcyon House.
Beale, Thomas. The Natural History of the Sperm Whale… [and] Rise and Progres of the Fishery. [London: Jan Van Voorst. 1839.] Repr. London: Holland Press, 1973.
Bockstoce, John R. Steam Whaling in the Western Arctic. With contributions by William A. Baker and Charles F. Batchelder. New Bedford: Old Dartmouth Historical Society. 1977.
Bockstoce, John R. Whales, Ice, and Men: The History of Whaling in the Western Arctic. Seattle and London: University of Washington Press. 1986.
* Busch, Briton C. Whaling will never do for me. University Press of Kentucky. 1996.
Cheever, Rev. Henry T. The Whale and His Captors; or The Whaleman’s Adventures, and the Whale’s Biography. New York: Harper & Bros., 1850; and London: Thos. Nelson & Sons, 1851. (Repr.)
Church, Albert Cook. Whale Ships and Whaling. New York: W.W. Norton & Co. 1938. (Repr. NY: Bonanza, n.d.)
Colby, Barnard L. Oil and Buggy Whips: Whaling Captains of New London County, Connecticut. Mystic, Conn.: Mystic Seaport Museum. 1990.
Druett, Joan. Pettycoat Whalers. London: Collins. 1991.
Elliott, Sir Gerald. Whaling 1937-1967: The International Control of Whale Stocks. Kendall Monograph #10, Sharon, Massachusetts. 1997.
* Ellis, Richard. Men and Whales. New York: Knopf. 1993.
* Forster, Honore. The South Sea Whaler: An Annotated Bibliography of... whaling in the Pacific Ocean in the nineteenth century. Sharon, Mass.: Kendall Whaling Museum; Fairhaven, Mass.: Edward J. Lefkowicz, Inc. 1985.
* Forster, Honore. More South Sea Whaling. Canberra, ACT, Australia: Research School of Pacific Studies, Australian National University. 1991.
* Goode, George Brown, ed. Fisheries and Fishery Industries of the United States. 5 vols. Washington, D.C.: GPO. 1887.
Hegarty, Reginald B. Returns of Whaling Vessels Sailing from American Ports: A Continuation of Alexander Starbuck’s "History of the American Whale Fishery" 1876-1928. New Bedford: ODHS / NBWM. 1959.
Hegarty, Reginald B. Addendum to "Starbuck" and "Whaling Masters." New Bedford Customs District. New Bedford: New Bedford Free Public Library. 1964.
* Hohman, Elmo P. The American Whaleman. New York: Longmans, Green. 1928. (Repr., Clifton, NJ: Augustus M. Kelley, 1972.)
* Lund, Judith Navis. Whaling Masters and Whaling Voyages Sialing from American Ports: A Compilation of Sources. New Bedford Whaling Museum, Kendall Whaling Museum, and Ten Pound Island Book Co. 2001.
* Malloy, Mary. African Americans in the Maritime Trades: A Guide to Resources in New England. Kendall Monograph #10. Sharon, Masschusetts. 1990.
Malloy, Mary. Whaling Wives and Whaling Brothers. Falmouth [Massachusetts] Historical Society. Monograph. 1997.
Philbrick, Nathaniel. In the Heart of the Sea. New York: Viking. 2000.
* Scammon, Charles Melville. Marine Mammals of the Northwestern Coastof North America…. [San Francisco, 1874]. Repr. NY: Dover.
* Starbuck, Alexander. History of the American Whale Fishery, from Its Earliest Inception to the Year 1876. 1878. (Report of the U.S. Commission on Fish and Fisheries, Part IV, Washington, D.C., 1878.) Repr. 2 vols. with preface by Stuart C. Sherman, New York: Argosy, 1964. Repr. 1 vol., Secaucus, N.J.: Crown, 1989.
* Tønnessen, J.N.; and A.O. Johnsen. The History of Modern Whaling. Translated by R.I. Christophersen. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press. 1982.
Time-Life, Editors of. The Whalers. Ed. A.B.C. Whipple. Washington, DC: TimeLife. 1979.
Webb, Robert Lloyd. On the Northwest: Commercial Whaling in the Pacific Northwest 1790- 1967. Vancouver, B.C.: University of British Columbia Press. 1988.
* Ash, Christopher. Whaler’s Eye. New York: Macmillan, 1962; London: George Allen & Unwin, 1964. Modern whaling in a Brirtish factory-ship.
Brewster, Mary. The Journals of… Ship Tuger of Stonington [1845-49]. Ed. Joan Druett. Mystic, Conn.: Mystic Seaport Museum. 1991.
Davis, William M. Nimrod of the Sea; or, The American Whaleman. New York: Harper & Bros. 1874.
Ely, Ben Ezra Stiles. There She Blows: Narrative of a whaling voyage in the Indian and Southa Atlantic Oceans. [Philadelphia, 1849.] (Repr. ed. by Curtis Dahl, Middletown: Wesleyan University Press, 1971.)
* Haley, Nelson Cole. Whale Hunt: The Narrative of a Voyage by Nelson Cole Haley, Harpooner in the Ship Charles W. Morgan, 1849-1853. New York: Ives Washburn,  1967. (Repr. Mystic Seaport Museum, 1990.)
McLaughlin, W.R.D. Call to the South: The Story of British Whaling in Antarctica. London: Geo. C. Harrap & Co. 1962.
Lawrence, Mary Chipman. The Captain’s Best Mate. [1856-60]. Ed. Stanton Garner. Providence: Brown University Press. 1966.
* Melville, Herman. Moby Dick. [New York: Harper Bros., 1851]. Numerous reprint eds.
* Murphy, Robert Cushman. Logbook for Grace. [1913-14]. New York, 1947.
Murphy, Robert Cushman. Dead Whale or a Stove Boat. [1913-14], New York, 1967.
* Olmsted, Francis Allyn. Incidents of a Whaling Voyage. [New York: D. Appleton, 1841]. (Repr., ed. W. Storrs Lee, New York: Bell, 1969.)
Dana, Richard Henry, Jr. Two Years Before the Mast. [New York: Harper Bros., 1840.] (Repr. ed. by Thomas Philbrick, Hammondsworth: Penguin,  1986.)
Harlow, Frederick Pease. The Making of a Sailor. Salem, Massachusetts: Marine Research Society, 1928. Repr. NY: Dover.
Brewington, M.V. & Dorothy. Kendall Whaling Museum Paintings. Sharon: The Kendall Whaling Museum. 1965.
Brewington, M.V. & Dorothy. Kendall Whaling Museum Prints. Sharon: The Kendall Whaling Museum. 1969.
* Carpenter, Charles H., Jr.; and Mary Grace Carpenter. The Decorative Arts and Crafts of Nantucket. New York: Dodd Mead & Co. 1987.
Flayderman, E. Norman. Scrimshaw and Scrimshanders, Whales and Whaleman. Ed. by R.L. Wilson. New Milford, Conn.: N. Flayderman & Co. 1972.
* Frank, Stuart M. Herman Melville’s Picture Gallery. Fairhaven: Lefkowicz. 1986.
Frank, Stuart M. Dictionary of Scrimshaw Artists. Mystic, Conn.: Mystic Seaport Museum. 1991.
Frank, Stuart M. More Scrimshaw Artists. Mystic, Conn.: Mystic Seaport Museum. 1998.
* Frank, Stuart M. "The Origins of Engraved Pictorial Scrimshaw." The Magazine Antiques, 142:4 (Oct 1992), pp 510-521.
* Frank, Stuart M. "Scrimshaw: Occupational Art of the Whale-Hunters." Maritime Life and Traditions, #7 (London, March 2000), pp. 42-57.
* Ingalls, Elizabeth. Whaling Prints from the Francis B. Lothrop Collection. Salem, Mass.,: Peabody Essex Museum 1987.
Jehle, Michael A. From Brant Point to the Boca Tigris: Nantucket in the China Trade. Nantucket Historical Association. 1994.
* Jehle, Michael A. Picturing Nantucket: An Art History of the Island. Nantucket Historical Association. 2000.
Malley, Richard C. Graven by the fishermen themselves: Scrimshaw in Mystic Seaport Museum. Mystic, Conn.: Mystic Seaport Museum. 1983.
* Martin, Kenneth R. Whalemen’s Paintings and Drawings. Sharon: The Kendall Whaling Museum; Newark: University of Delaware Press; London: Associated University Presses. 1983.
Miller, Pamela A., ed. And the Whale Is Ours: Creative Writing of American Whalemen. Sharon: The Kendall Whaling Museum; Boston: David R. Godine, 1979.
Purrington, Philip F. 4 Years A-whaling: Charles S. Raleigh, Illustrator. Barre, Mass.: Barre Publ. 1972.
Songs and Chanteys
* Colcord, Joanna C. Songs of the American Sailormen (New York, 1938) (expanded from Roll and Go, New York, 1924).
Doerflinger, William Main. Songs of the Sailor and Lumberman (New York, 1972) (expanded from Shantymen and Shantyboys, New York, 1951). (Repr.)
Frank, Stuart M. The Book of Pirate Songs. Sharon; The Kendall Whaling Museum. 1998.
Frank, Stuart M. "Musick on the Brain." Shipboard fiddle tines. Kendall Monograph Nº 11. 2000.
* Frank, Stuart M. Sea Chanteys and Sailor Songs: A Guide. Kendall Monograph Nº 12. 2000.
Frank, Stuart M. Songs of the Polly, 1795: A Garland of Songs, Ballads, and Ditties from Stephen Cahoon’s Journal aboard the Whaleship Polly of Gloucester, Massachusetts. Kendall Monograph Nº 15. 2001.
Harlow, Frederick Pease.Chanteying Aboard American Ships. Barre, Mass.: Barre Publ. 1962
Hugill, Stan. Shanties from the Seven Seas. London and New York, 1961 (abridged, Mystic Seaport, 1994).
Palmer, Roy, ed. The Oxford Book of Sea Songs. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press. 1986.