- Cultural Communities
- Digital Scholarship
- 25th Annual Sailors’ Series
- Lifelong Learning Lecture Series
- Where the Land Meets the Sea
- Watkins Bioacoustics Symposium
- Nautical Antiques Show
- 27th Annual Scrimshaw Weekend
- Painting with a Splash FOR KIDS
- Right Whale Day
- April Vacation Week
- A Grateful Dead Yoga Experience
- Portuguese Theatrical Performance
- Over the Top Summer Gala
- Members’ Trip to Porto, Portugal
- Family Activities
- Community Programs
- Annual Events
- Moby-Dick Marathon
- Past Programs
Collaborative efforts between the New Bedford Whaling Museum and the Digital Commonwealth, in partnership with the Boston Public Library (BPL), have resulted in the Research Library, home of the world's largest whaling logbook and journal collection, the ability to digitize its assets.
In an effort to expand access to the widest audience possible, digital surrogates of the Library's logbooks, journals and nautical charts appear not only on the Museum's website (EXPLORE > LIBRARY) but also through the Internet Archive and the Digital Commonwealth.
The dispersal of locations across the Internet promotes the Library's holdings and increase accessibility to the collection, while at the same time providing several locations for the preservation of the Museum’s digital assets.
Sample logbook: Alfred Gibbs (Ship), KWM 13. We currently host 55 Logbooks & Journals on our site.